1950 Vincent "Red Rockwt Comet - $30,000

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is this the Red comet that was at the Isle of Man national in 2007?. I don't remember it being very quick at all..john

davidd

VOC Member
Is this the Red comet that was at the Isle of Man national in 2007?. I don't remember it being very quick at all..john

John,

I don't think so. This bike has been in the U.S. for a long time. It was built by Al Mark many years ago. It has a Norton gear box and a Mountain Mile Peel fairing. The gentleman who purchased it in Las Vegas just liked it. He did not have a particular use for it and it has been for sale ever since. I suspect it is a nice bike, but it is one of those Specials that cannot be used for anything without some serious mods. It is not a street bike and it is not built to meet road racing rules, so it is in limbo.
Al Mark005.JPG

David

nkt267

VOC Member
The reason I thought it may have been ,and I am already ducking, is that I am under the impression that the comet at the Manx was brought over from the states..john

nkt267

VOC Member
Unfortunately the footage I have of that Red Comet won't upload in the format that it is recorded in..John

davidd

VOC Member
John Clark used to ride my Grey Flash. He then built a fast Comet to race. The bike was subsequently purchased by Rob Ianucci of New York, who owns Team Obsolete and goes to the Island regularly. I suspect that is the bike you have film of. It looks like this:
DSCF0069.jpg

David

davidd

VOC Member
John,

You are absolutely correct! I lost track of the bike when Al died. I never heard it run, although I am sure it did, but I am surprised that it was shipped and run. Because the bike had no serious outings, I would have said that it would have taken a significant amount of time to sort it out. Kudos to the owner for his work and participation.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
If i remember correctly,when i saw it first it sounded slightly sick as if it had not run for some time..It started the 'parade':rolleyes: with the racing bikes,1st section out, so i don't know how well it was running at that stage.I think I went out in about the 5th or 6th group and we were at Glen Helen before I could give the Comet it's head,mind you going through Glen Helen in second gear winding up past 50mph sounded really great from my seat:D..John