1950 Comet engine sprocket spacer

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My basket case nears completion (at least the noisy bit) ! From my box of bits I have a plain steel spacer (no marks or grooves) that is 3/8" thick however I am not sure if this is from the bike as there were 3 other bike spares mixed in. On tightening the mainshaft nut with this spacer the springs appear fairly close to coilbound and the nut threads are approx 50% utilized. All other associated components are correct and the sprocket aligns with the old chain wear marks in the chaincase. Can anybody advise spacer dimensions and or confirm the above as normal?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
My basket case nears completion (at least the noisy bit) ! From my box of bits I have a plain steel spacer (no marks or grooves) that is 3/8" thick however I am not sure if this is from the bike as there were 3 other bike spares mixed in. On tightening the mainshaft nut with this spacer the springs appear fairly close to coilbound and the nut threads are approx 50% utilized. All other associated components are correct and the sprocket aligns with the old chain wear marks in the chaincase. Can anybody advise spacer dimensions and or confirm the above as normal?
If the spacer you have has a slot in the inner hole , then it sounds as though you have a series D engine shock absorber spring plate [pd5].If so then the advantages are 1 they do not bend in use, as the series C ones tend to do.2 because they are smooth they are less lilely to break the springs.
stumpy lord.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tug,
The Comet mainshaft spacer that fits against the bearing measures 1.624" o/d, 1.016" i/d and it is .325" thick, at least that is what mine measures.
Cheers, ET43

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tug,
The Comet mainshaft spacer that fits against the bearing measures 1.624" o/d, 1.016" i/d and it is .325" thick, at least that is what mine measures.
Cheers, ET43
Many thanks, using your info I have now found the correct spacer in my other basket case in a tin marked Ariel clutch parts by the previous owner!
Thanks again.