1950 Comet -Big End

TritonMike

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Have just had the crankshaft stripped. It seems that the outer shell of the Big End has been spinning in the conrod. Is this a common fault? Can I obtain oversize OD shells to fit? If so where is the best place given I live in Gloucestershire.
It seem the actual big end bearing is fine.
Mike

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not come across that one before Mike. Question: What sort of Big End is it? Original Vincent crowded roller, Alpha caged roller or something else? In any event Alpha Bearings could probably make an oversize con rod liner for you, (www.alpha-bearings.com) Good luck, Len.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
New one on me too, it is usually undersize mainshafts particularly timing side i have experienced, you could also try the Maughans establishment.
Remember Neville Higgins' remarks about 'accurately machine non parallel cage slots'o r something like that. Anybody with a rod under the bench
would help you out, Unfortunately i don't have one, Ken

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
It also occurs to me , have you measured anything yet? Is the sleeve undersize or is the big end eye oversize ? a quick cheap and cheeful fix is to degease the B'end eye and rod and
stick it back in with green Locktite . Or any equivalent adhesive . Ken

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Mike, Any problem with the Conrod, With the fact that it is 60yrs old, It might be a good to buy a new one!. I bought one about a year ago and it was £200 .
I have seen the damage when one breaks, it's not good. I live in fear of my other engines which have been together a long time. All The Best Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
Back in 1970 a mate of mine had a bigend eye give way on his Comet and it took the back of the crankcase out.A lot of welding later the cases were useable again.If in doubt about your conrod buy a new one..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
It also occurs to me , have you measured anything yet? Is the sleeve undersize or is the big end eye oversize ? a quick cheap and cheeful fix is to degease the B'end eye and rod and
stick it back in with green Locktite . Or any equivalent adhesive . Ken

Ken. Fix is the wrong word beginning with F for that comment.