1950 C Rapide kickstarter question

luvolbikes

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Getting my Rapide up and running after several years. After a hard kick years ago the kickstart shaft just spins. Externally visible splines are intact. Plan to remove the cover to inspect the inner workings of the assembly this weekend. What might I likely find?

tatty500

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Getting my Rapide up and running after several years. After a hard kick years ago the kickstart shaft just spins. Externally visible splines are intact. Plan to remove the cover to inspect the inner workings of the assembly this weekend. What might I likely find?

You might just find that the G46 gear is sticky on the G101 bush so that the ratchet does not engage.

Squirt some oil on it.

luvolbikes

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Appreciate the help and hope more comments to come. Thanks. This is a beautiful rapide ,Dick Busby rebuild in mid 1990's ,with very low post rebuild miles if anyone is interested it will soon be up for sale in the USA southwest.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for the link BigEd. If not engaging should the G83 spin 360 degrees?
With the kickstart in the up position the G83 rests against the G116 which a flat strip spring that acts a shockabsorber when the return spring G87/1 returns the G83 to the up position after kicking.
when kick starting the G83 engages with the G46 to turn the engine. When the G83 moves fully past and out of engagement with G46 it hits G97 which is spring loaded by spring G92 that acts as a shock absorber. Sometimes the section of the casting can break around this shock absorber if it is not functioning correctly.
G46 gear is held in engagement with G97 by spring G48. As G83 moves back up the ratchet formed by G46/G97 comes out of engagement.
The angle that the G83 can move through is approximately twice the angle of the G83 which is the angle between the stops at each end of the swing. I've not measured the angle but it is probably a little over 90º.

Last edited:

luvolbikes

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
With the kickstart in the up position the G83 rests against the G116 which a flat strip spring that acts a shockabsorber when the return spring G87/1 returns the G83 to the up position after kicking.
when kick starting the G83 engages with the G46 to turn the engine. When the G83 moves fully past and out of engagement with G46 it hits G97 which is spring loaded by spring G92 that acts as a shock absorber. Sometimes the section of the casting can break around this shock absorber if it is not functioning correctly.
G46 gear is held in engagement with G97 by spring G48. As G83 moves back up the ratchet formed by G46/G97 comes out of engagement.
The angle that the G83 can move through is approximately twice the angle of the G83 which is the angle between the stops at each end of the swing. I've not measured the angle but it is probably a little over 90º.
Good explanation B.E. I am eager to see what I find.