• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale 1947/8 HRD Vincent Series B Rapide 1000cc Project

Graham Smith

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here we have a very interesting project.

Engine is a very early HRD Rapide (F10AB/1/260) which denotes a 1947 HRD Series B Rapide which is much more desirable than the later Series C Rapide. It is also a very early engine (number 260 out of over 10,000 Vincents produced), again making it highly desirable). Engine casings are matching and cylinder heads are the correct earlier heads (ET22R and ET22F). According to the VOC, the engine was despatched to Clarke’s of Norwich on the 1st October 1947.

Rear Frame Member is correct Series B (they have straight seat lugs and different positioning of rear brake cable channelling). No sign of a visible frame number.

Upper Frame Member is Series B and is marked R2?6?. The third and fifth characters have unfortunately been drilled through (as have other parts of the headstock), however, it is possible to determine that the fifth character is either a 3 or 7 as the flat top of that character is still visible. The VOC have been very helpful in researching the chassis and we have been able to ascertain that this frame is one of 10 possibilities (the other possibilities being known to the VOC and therefore by deducment it can’t possibly be one of them). The Upper Frame Member is therefore a Series B HRD and is one of the 10 possibilities from either 1947/8/9.

Comes with correct Brampton forks, correct 8 inch Miller headlamp and Smiths 433/3/L Speedo.

Reconditioned original petrol tank.

Number of new parts - seat (with Feridax badge), silencer, handlebars, levers and front mudguard, costing over £1300.

Comes with original Riders Handbook for 1947 Series B Rapide, Spare Parts Book and VOC Dating Certificate for the engine. No log book.

Some relatively minor parts missing - mudguard stays, front prop stands, rear handle, speedo mount, clutch/brake/speedo/choke/magneto cables, wiring harness, rear brake rod, twist grip. Undoubtedly other parts too It all easily obtained from the VOC.

A very worthwhile project!

I have tried to price the bike reasonably and reflective of the sum of the component parts (engine and Brampton forks alone are worth £20k). That said, this is currently the cheapest Rapide on the market, and has the makings of a lovely Series B HRD.

Would consider a swap for another Vincent and/or other British bike.

Please call or text on 07595 106939.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 11.06.25.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-11.jpgs-l1600-10.jpgs-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Unfortunately due to the drilled UFM headstock the frame number identity has been lost and so this could not be registered for road use in the UK with the DVLA. A replacement headstock with a genuine Vincent factory stamped frame number will be required. So that is something to consider by anybody thinking of buying this project.

Simon

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Is there no way you could help Him Simon, There are a few numbers there to check with ?.
Cheers Bill.

peter holmes

VOC Member
Does a Q plate overcome the DVLA registration problem, it seems a bit draconian to condemn a perfectly good headstock as of no use other than scrap metal if it is a perfectly good headstock, the club and other suppliers supply brand new headstocks without original factory numbers, if you cannot fit them to a motorcycle and then register the bike with DVLA are they also bits of useless (and expensive £3K) scrap metal, if that is the case why do the club bother to get them manufactured at all, am I missing something here.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Wack your legal Vincent into a wall (and survive!) you will probably be glad new head-stocks are available
they are the sort of component that some owners of other makes of 70 year old bikes after a crash would give their eye teeth for.

peter holmes

VOC Member
Tim, I get that totally, but as it does not carry a factory stamped number on it, apparently you are not able to register it with DVLA and therefore you will not be able to actually ride it on the public highway, unless I have misunderstood what Simon is pointing out in a previous post.

Last edited:

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim, I get that totally, but as it does carry a factory stamped number on it, apparently you are not able to register it with DVLA and therefore you will not be able to actually ride it on the public highway, unless I have misunderstood what Simon is pointing out in a previous post.
Peter
It all depends on if your bike already has a DVLA registration or not. Tim is refering to a vehicle already registered for road use that is damaged due to an accident.

If a bike does not have a DVLA V5C registration, like the one for sale above, then at the point of registration application it needs to conform to the DVLA age related reg rules and the frame & its number (which is a UFM headstock on a Vincent) and engine & its number have to be identified as genuine and dated via the numbers. So replica engines, brand new headstocks, restamped factory headstocks and frames that the number cannot be determined will all be rejected by the DVLA and it may qualify for a Q plate if the bike can pass a SVA test but I doubt a Vincent could pass one. These are DVLA rules and not VOC rules.

Simon

peter holmes

VOC Member
Thanks for the clarification Simon, so if you completely trash a headstock in an accident and you purchase a replacement from the Club Spares Company or A N Other supplier, what is the procedure going forward with regard to the registration of the new headstock that presumedly comes devoid of any numbers.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for the clarification Simon, so if you completely trash a headstock in an accident and you purchase a replacement from the Club Spares Company or A N Other supplier, what is the procedure going forward with regard to the registration of the new headstock that presumedly comes devoid of any numbers.
Peter
If you crash a bike already registered in the UK then you contact the DVLA and depending on what writeoff catagory the insurance company has placed the bike is in the DVLA will allow you to do certain things which includes using a brand new frame and still keep the current registration. I don't know the exact rules as its not something I or owners clubs get involved with. I don't know if the DVLA allow the original frame number to be kept or if they issue a new 17 digit DVLASW number.

You are not allowed to use a 2nd hand frame though and restamp it as it has to be a new previously unused one.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Options come to mind. none of which will retain the original UK Reg number. Hang the plate on the wall when you are all done.

Keep the headstock and title it in a country other than the UK, It is apparently already in the USA........ I am pretty sure I could do it here. Weld up the two offending holes, stamp some numbers in it and make the VOC aware of what you have done and carry on with life

Having done as above, somewhere down the road sell it on making any prospective purchaser aware of the situation.

Replace the headstock whilst still out of the UK and stamp new numbers at the suggestion of Simon (If he would) title it and carry on with life as above.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
If it's here in the states and he wants to trade for other British bikes, I've got a few bikes I would give. It wouldn't be a problem getting it titled and road registered here in Michigan. I just need a bill of sale with the current owners details on it.
Steven