• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale 1938 Vincent HRD SERIES A Twin Rapide - ?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Why not have one of each Bill Irwin NZ i think got an Australian one first from Neal & Rodney then he got Jeff Smith's (Aldershot Section). Preferring to ride the original all the time ! ?

???????????? Martyn my handsome, it's just that I put Vincent onto a recent one in north Wales just finished after forty or fifty years under the bench, no longer able to ride motor cycles but Vincent hasn't got the patience to do the commissioning and running in,
I will shame you into it Vincent.

HRD Series A Rapide GWA273.jpeg

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
As far as spending money goes I think Colin Jenner had the right idea, originally he only purchased an A twin because he could not afford the asking price for Bs and Cs, and from memory that was when Bs and Cs were selling for less than £100.00, along the same vein I think Ron Thomas swapped his A Twin for a C Comet, but there might be more detail involved than that, I wish I had known Ron back then. Having ridden Old Harry and Nigel a good few times I think they are both beautiful fascinating motorcycles, but Series B, C or D are infinitely better, I cannot comment on the modern variants, I would imagine that the shortcomings of squeezing a 1000cc engine into a frame designed to cater for a 500cc engine would still be present.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hmmm, The mighty crystal ball.........Like some fellow in 1968 buying 10 matching numbers Black Shadows, cause he knows in around 2015 to 2019 that these bikes are going to be worth a fortune, sell them up and live happily ever after.........Like the 85 year old walking into the news agent shop to buy a LOTTO ticket for the 20 million first prize draw on Saturday night. Oh well at least it'll keep the kids happy........Talking crystal balls........I'd be more concerned about paying huge money for something that has supposedly been fully restored, only to find that the new paint and polished alloy is pretty, but as for everything else.........Oh dear...........Of course I'm not saying this applies to any of these bikes.........But i have seen many restored bikes come past my way, supposedly done by experts.......... Hmmm.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As far as spending money goes I think Colin Jenner had the right idea, originally he only purchased an A twin because he could not afford the asking price for Bs and Cs, and from memory that was when Bs and Cs were selling for less than £100.00, along the same vein I think Ron Thomas swapped his A Twin for a C Comet, but there might be more detail involved than that, I wish I had known Ron back then. Having ridden Old Harry and Nigel a good few times I think they are both beautiful fascinating motorcycles, but Series B, C or D are infinitely better, I cannot comment on the modern variants, I would imagine that the shortcomings of squeezing a 1000cc engine into a frame designed to cater for a 500cc engine would still be present.
I don't think you would have liked Ron's, Peter, It was a bit non standard,
And that's before He fitted my Disc Brake and Air front suspension !,
But I had the BOOTS for it :D

Attachments

• DSC00082 (2).JPG
    DSC00082 (2).JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 38

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I don't think you would have liked Ron's, Peter, It was a bit non standard,
And that's before He fitted my Disc Brake and Air front suspension !,
But I had the BOOTS for it :D
Well I loved it. I would often ride passed Ron's then house on my C Comet in the hope of seeing it parked outside, which it sometimes was. Great days.
Hugo

Albervin

VOC Member
For all of you wishing and hoping out there. I can say for certain there is an "A" twin and a TTR out in a shed on a farm in NSW. The owner is totally uninterested in selling.

Bracker1

VOC Member
All well said , in the mean time it’s the cheapest Series A Twin on the market and the most expensive at the same time . It creates more advertising exposure than most can imagine .
There is no rush to sell , no mortgage to pay , we enjoy the machine and benefit from the ownership . What’s it really worth ? Time will tell .
I might add we have had a lot of rare valuable machines , this non matching numbers bike is quite a beauty and may have more correct parts than some of its well documented cousins .it’s ownership history is well documented It was also the only A twin we could find for sale on the planet . So we will enjoy the discussion , the ownership and eventually the sale . It’s not our first rodeo or the last . Love ya all ride safe .
My Son owns a series A Twin and that in itself is a great blessing . Best of the day to you all Bill Melvin Sr.
Rapide is gorgeous!! If I am not mistaken the Crocker you sold was second to none and this restoration looks the same caliber. Good luck with the sale!! Cheers, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Stub Mandrel

New Website User
Non-VOC Member
Why not have one of each Bill Irwin NZ i think got an Australian one first from Neal & Rodney then he got Jeff Smith's (Aldershot Section). Preferring to ride the original all the time ! ?

???????????? Martyn my handsome, it's just that I put Vincent onto a recent one in north Wales just finished after forty or fifty years under the bench, no longer able to ride motor cycles but Vincent hasn't got the patience to do the commissioning and running in,
I will shame you into it Vincent.

View attachment 40078
Hi, my father bought GWA273 for £15 from some guys who could not get it to start and were going to throw it into the docks. Someone had fitted new valve seats but nit cut them. He sold it as a basket case with his late model Rapide.

Latest Forum Threads

List of Forum Categories

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?