• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For Sale 1938 Vincent HRD SERIES A Twin Rapide - ?

vin998

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This non matching numbers bike reached $250,000 (£191,000) at Mecum Auction in Las Vegas Jan 2020 but didn't sell.

Mercum Jan 2020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I suspect he has an inflated sense of its worth, is fishing to see what he could get for it as he wants to list it as collateral for a loan, or more likely really doesn't want to sell it but must appear to be trying for some other reason. Asking $1.1 million on ebay for it does not seem reasonable. I suspect he had a very high reserve at the Mecum auction and that is why at $250, 000 it didn't sell.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Now is your chance Vincent to get one but it does seem a little high. Not even Harvey could afford it, but then he already has one but a little worn now.

Albervin

VOC Member
If I remember correctly, Bill bought all of Chas Williams' bikes. I guess that until he sells this he is not in profit. None of my business of course but I think the highest price paid for an "A" Rapide is about $500,000.

LoneStar

VOC Member
From the auction listing:

HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Twin Cylinder 998cc power plant
  • Engine #V1016 (January 1938)
  • Frame #DV1755 1939
  • VOC Certificate
What exactly is the VOC certifying here?

Albervin

VOC Member
My guess is the dating of the frame and engine. I would also like to ask ; what changes were made to the pre-war Rapide frame during production?

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
From the auction listing:

HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Twin Cylinder 998cc power plant
  • Engine #V1016 (January 1938)
  • Frame #DV1755 1939
  • VOC Certificate
What exactly is the VOC certifying here?
THe current VOC certificates are a basic dating certificate which dates the engine and frame numbers via the Vincent factroy records. These certificates do no more and do NOT "authenticate" the bike even though sellers like to refer to it as such. The VOC stopped issuing Authentication certificates in 2005.

The Dating certificate for this bike in question basically shows:
The main frame (UFM) is from a 1939 Rapide
The engine is from a different 1938 Rapide
The RFM has no number and so cannot be identified as to what machine its from.

So as I mentioned in post 2 above, this is a non matching numbers bike.

I guess the numbers will effect its value, but the market forces will decide that. From what I have seen of series A Rapide prices a big chunk of their value is the rarity and especially matching numbers which buyers will pay a hefty premium for to the point that non matching numbers series A Rapides have sold for up to 50% less than fully matching numbers bikes. The Mecum auction highest bid of $250,000 shows that, but the bike didn't sell.

LoneStar

VOC Member
What's important is to get a discount. For instance, I'm asking $2 million for my Series C Black Shadow - but this week only, forum members are eligible for an 80% discount! Use coupon code 'BARGAIN'...

PS - It's been worked on by people who once viewed movies in which Steve McQueen appeared!

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
How's it go? She danced with a boy who danced with a girl who danced with the prince of Wales. Noel Coward, I think.

I'd part with my Rapide for just under $1 million. I worked on it but only saw McQueen on TV. And no discount.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?