1938 Velocette, what to look for

Whiteshadow15

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have been having difficulty finding much information regarding a bike that popped up on eBay, it is local and am planning on taking a look. I figured some on here would know about these much better than myself.

Sounds like the individual simply bought it to collect and has very little information or history regarding it. Are there things I should be on the look out for?

I saw it was at a Mecum auction in 2014 with a no-sale at 18k, although who knows if there were any real bidders or not.

LoneStar

VOC Member
First question is what model it is - no record of an "MCC" from Velocette. The OHV models of the era were MAC (350cc) and MSS (500cc).

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
That’s what initially hindered my search initially, the Mecum listing had it correct so I think it speaks volumes as to who listed it.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I would a be a little cautious as the photos out side of the barn door look like the front of sinless cycles and they are not based in Illinois.

LoneStar

VOC Member
There's reason to be suspicious of the seller. Check out his recent feedback, and completed auctions. It's also claimed he's the owner of a business called "The Burt Collection", itself the subject of numerous online complaints.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
Yeah I did notice that, it looks more like he doesn’t honor auctions that end with a low bid. He did give me his contact and offered to check it out in person.