1938 Rudge Race Bike

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So David, I spoke to my friend today about your wobble issue, and he laughed..........He explained that it is a very common problem with the early bikes, the modern tires definitely contribute to the problem.......The extra grip they have means much more flexing of the frame parts. He has another friend here in Australia who is the Rudge man in this country and has some very fast racing models, he is going to ask him for some advice. He did say that he use to go to a lot of trouble to ensure there was no play in any of the parts in the girder forks and the head bearings........... It appears to be a rigidity problem from what I can see.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If you go to this link https://leehollickphotography.zenfolio.com/f64673403 and look at the photos in the Race 2, Race 20 and Race 31 folders you will see a few pictures of me (No. 246). The best, apart from my wide missing the apex line, is probably in the Race 31 folder. At least I was giving the hurry up to the Yamaha.

Unfortunately there are none of me at Gerrards where I was crouched more over the petrol tank and had my elbows locked against my knees. The bike behaved itself more than me in the corners featured in Lee Hollick's photos.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't know what meetings you are hoping to do this season but I hope to get to a few more Vintage race meeting this year so I'll try to find you in the paddock if I'm not intruding.
Next meeting is Darley Moor, not too far for me but unfortunately, I am away that weekend on a motorcycling weekend with 20 or so friends. I'll also miss out on the Bill Hancock Rider's Rally too where the venue is the Triumph factory, quite literally 5 minutes from my home.
Hi Eddy,

I am sure I will not feel that you are intruding. It would be good to chat some more.

I am not planning on doing Darley Moor as I think it best to fix all the issues that happened at Mallory. I am undecided on Pembrey, but hope to do all the others. I will let people know on here when my next meeting will be.

Cheers

Dave

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Good miss Darly moor too many loose screws to puncture and no bulbs in the bog

I cannot say the track has a lot going for it either. A tad on the boring side in my opinion. The Wilson's chicane is a nightmare for my Rudge with the 21" front wheel. The other chicane is OK because you can straight line it, but if you are three abreast, as I was when racing there in 2017, it could get very messy

I did like our stay in Alton though.