1938 Rudge Race Bike

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Great Write up. You are getting some good racing miles in, definitely the best way to sort your bike and gain confidence. Best of all you, sound as if you are enjoying your racing.:) Well done.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Cadwell Park 28th/29th Sept 2019 Race Report

The 2019 Cadwell Park BHR race meeting can adequately be described by a 1980s Scottish soft rock band. Wet, wet, wet.

We had a great run up to Cadwell on Friday and immediately set up our pitch in the paddock before the weather worsened. We could see it was about to. I was unloading the van whilst my wife Carol and son Bradley were erecting the gazebo/awning. They had the roof on and were attempting to fit the third of the four sides when the whole lot blew over and severely bent the inner square section steel tube on one of the four extendable legs. I had to down tools and help them hang onto it whilst the three of us could only get semi shelter from the dishevelled canvas that was luckily clinging onto the frame. Once the wind had reduced sufficiently I managed to straighten the leg enough to get it to work, but the metal had split. We then managed to get all the sides on and start pegging it down. We also used two 25 litre jerry cans filled with water and the roller starter to help tether the awning.

The bike and my riding gear went through scrutineering OK, but unfortunately noise testing would have to wait until Saturday morning.

Sat. 28th Sept. 2019 – Noise Test and Practice

The weather forecast for Saturday was now very disappointing compared with how it had been just a few days earlier. The noise test was passed OK and track conditions were far from ideal for the practice session. On one lap I made a mistake at the left hand approach to The Mountain and had to sit the bike up, but still clipped the kerb on the apex. It thankfully caused no drama, but embarrassingly for me was caught on camera by Lee Hollick.

Practice

Practice.jpg

Sat. 28th Sept. 2019 – Race 2 – Unlimited to 1948 (4 started in my class in an overall field of 23)

Whilst I was waiting for my race to be called the rain was very light and intermittent. I thought "Great, just what I need, variable conditions in my first race". I need not of worried. When I got to the holding area it was proper rain. Whilst stationary the rain that was falling on the back of my neck was running down the inside of my leathers. I then became quickly aware that my crotch was soaking wet due to the stretchy cloth material used in that area as well as the inner thighs. The inner arms also have the same material with exactly the same results. It did not take much longer for the leather to become sodden along with my gloves and boots. I sat there, trying to remember to keep the engine running whilst thinking "Why am I doing this?".

On the sighting lap (warm up lap would be a misnomer) it was evident there was a river running across the beginning of the start finish straight.

I made a good start with excellent drive off the line, but was struggling with very poor visibility and had to keep raising, or lowering, my visor, whilst there was little I could do for my glasses. It was now raining 'stair rods'*** and the river was no longer visible due to the whole track appearing like a silver ribbon covered with fast moving spikes that were caused by the deluge of rain.

With the additional complication of misty spray coming off of the bikes and riders ahead I was worried about the possibility of crashing into any fallers there might be ahead of me. There would have been no time to react. I felt a little easier once those ahead had gapped me when Tony Green on a 350 Velo came past me on a corner. I have always beaten Tony, so I am clearly not as good as him in the wet, but it was enjoyable to be at least in a battle.

However, all these efforts of derring-do were in vain because the race was red flagged due to the excessive amount of water on the track. Whilst I was not overly sorry that the race was stopped it was very disappointing that I missed out on some championship points, but it was the right decision to stop the race.

The belly pan did an incredibly good job of filling nearly to the brim with water. It would not take much imagination to work out where escaping oil would end up if there was a serious leak, or blow up. Back in the paddock we laid the bike over to pour the water out.

Race 2

Rain drops keep falling on my head.jpg

Tony Green in Race 2

Tony Green singing in the rain.jpg

Sat. 28th Sept. 2019 – Race 7 – ACU Girder Fork (6 started in my class in an overall field of 26)

For an altogether too brief a period the sun came out and approximately two thirds of the track dried out. Whilst these conditions probably helped me more than Tony Green they were nonetheless helping him too and I was unable to shake him off in our resumed battle. He passed me on the damp sections and I got him back on a straight. I expected that he would get back at me, but unbeknown to me his engine stopped due to a dislodged points cover shorting out the sparks department. I finished third in my class out of 5 finishers, with Ben Kingham on the Vincent twin and Mervyn Stratford ahead of me.

Tony Green then me in Race 7

Tony Green then me followed by Sam Page.jpg

Sat. 28th Sept. 2019 – Race 12 – Unlimited to 1948 (2 started in my class in an overall field of 23)

Full wet conditions had returned and Tony Green comfortably beat me to the line. I was also the last finisher which was very disappointing. On one particular lap the rear end stepped out going up the short climb of The Mountain section.

Sat. 28th Sept. 2019 – Race 17 – ACU Girder Fork

There was not enough time to complete Saturday's race programme so this race was, with others, to be held over to Sunday.

Sun. 29th Sept. 2019 – Race 17 – ACU Girder Fork (5 started in my class in an overall field of 19)

Again it was wet conditions. It was evident that there was more and more oil getting on the track, which had also been visible on Saturday as well. Whilst cornering I had some rear end incidents that were not big enough to call slides, but greater than the wheel just squirming. This was telling me that going faster and leaning over more was possibly the wrong thing to do. I was disappointed with this wet weather performance running behind Mervyn and Tony Green, but at least I was ahead of two other Velos. However, I felt embarrassed when a 125 CGR Honda came past me on a corner. I thought I would easily repass him on a straight and tried to catch him up a bit through Hall Bends and then the Hairpin in order to put this plan into action. However, as I was exiting the Hairpin the front wheel slid out. I thought "Here we go" and quickly put my foot down onto the track, which somehow saved the day. Suitably detuned by this excitement the Honda gapped me and I decided that discretion was the better part of valour. So it was another third place finish out of five finishers in my class.

Sun. 29th Sept. 2019 – Race 23 – Unlimited to 1948 (4 started in my class in an overall field of 21)

The rain was well and truly set in by mid-morning, so it was yet another wet race. This time I had a drama free race finishing third behind Keith Riley and Tony Green on Velos, with just Michael Harrison behind on a lovely methanol burning 1934 350 GP New Imperial.

Lunch

After lunch they delayed the re-commencement of racing for 30 minutes when a track inspection was to be made. After that they went for another 30 minute delay which then resulted in the decision to abandon the meeting. At least it had made my decision for me, because I had been thinking it was not worth going out again in such heavy rain.

Summary

I did not mention above that I nearly ran out of road at Park corner, due to feeling that anymore lean angle would of resulted in a crash. I knew that grass tracking was not going to give me a good chance of staying on, so my only real chance was to sit the bike up slightly and brake. It worked, but gifted Tony Green with one of his easier overtaking opportunities. During Race 23 when Keith Riley came past me on the inside of a corner I could not believe his greater lean angle compared with mine.

I know Tony Green fitted new tyres for this meeting. I fitted my rear tyre in early 2017 and the front is the tyre that Tony Perkin used so at least a 2016 fitment.

I chatted with Tony Hazledine, who was not enjoying the conditions on his Egli Comet, or Norton Dommiracer. We discussed the grip problems I was experiencing and he reckoned that because my tyres are race compound they are too old. He said they can only go through a certain number of heat cycles before they go off and become worse than a road tyre. He said he use to buy second hand race tyres from the Molnar Manx team, who replace tyres after every meeting, or sometimes after a race. Tony has now switched to Bridgestone Battlax road tyres on the grounds of economy. I have checked and a 19" rear Battlax is not available, so not an option for me. Whilst I am sure this information from Tony is correct I still however think my tyres are very good in the dry.

I would welcome comments and advice on the tyre issue. I have been trying to limit my expenditure on racing as much as possible, but it could turn out to be a false economy if I were to come off and that is saying nothing about the possible negative effect the tyres might be having on my lap times/race finishing positions.

Whilst I have not necessarily improved my wet weather riding skills it has increased my experience. Despite the weather it was an enjoyable extended weekend having fun on a Rudge and the really good bit is I did nothing to the bike all weekend other than top up the petrol.

*** Stair-rods is a colloquial North of England expression. Stair-rods are the metal rods that hold stair-carpets in place on each step. The allusion is to rain which is so heavy as to appear like falling stair-rods.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ben said the twin was magic in the downpour really well planted he is no fan of Brampton forks ( he had a nasty in the 90's on them) but was almost converted and was happy to use them to thumb the nose at the ACU girdraulic comet ban
Big draw back with 18" wheels is exhaust clearance but you must have good race rubber
I am afraid the BHR races are still a shambles there were 90's Japanese bikes in the same race there is no recognition of the event classes in the commentary of the race. The number plate colours give no clue and 4 laps are hardly any value it's more like a very short track day.
I know why that is it's the circuit costs mean bums on seats (even scooter seats) are the priority hence the paultry numbers in the pre 48 class
It's not helped by specification wars Ben's success with his flying brick that spawned a host of solo and big wheel sidecars means that the BMW are split into two formulas (events) formula 1 contains just 2 bikes both belong to Ben one is bound to be the winner. Go figure

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Tim for your reply. I was hoping to find you both in the paddock and have a chat, plus a look at the Vin.

I was right at the top of the paddock as you come in, which was handy when my roller starter failed. Two races later my son found a loose wire and fixed it. He is not a mechanic at all.

You are right about the mixed event classes in the races, but I guess because of the numbers we either have to like it, or lump it.

I am a new convert to the 48 class and I am surprised that there are not more girder fork class bikes in it. However, if there were the two event entries (girders and 48) would be identical because we haven't seen an influx of tele/rigids enter the 48 event.

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim,

Was there a reason that Ben didn't go out in more of the races on the Vincent?
he got so wet in race 2 and if he took his leathers off they would never go on again (luckily he had spare gloves) but he was getting cold waiting for race 7 (whick took ages to come round) that after that event in which he came first (not that anyone would notice in the actual race) we took one look at the forecast and the thought of sitting in the rain for 4 laps and a wet Sunday was a no go. So we "packed it all up and put it in the van" ( we actually have a tune for that refrain)

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Tim for replying. Ben was a hero in my book to ride a big twin in those conditions. I had already decided to myself I did not want to race after Sunday's lunch break, for similar reasons, but my family were more reluctant about me throwing the towel in. I tell them that they don't get to see the moments/near misses.

I was not disappointed when they announced that racing was abandoned.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ben said the twin was superb and felt planted and OK. Dont forget the engine is just as I prepared it for the 1999 closed road event its a fast road engine but no cut and shut racer (It still has monoblocks on) it was perfect for those conditions I have always said in short circuit racing it does not pay to over tune a vin twin. In comparison Ben said the flying brick was sliding all over the place and he did not go out on Saturday again.
Anyway the result is Ben can see the potential so we are going to give it some attention over the winter and race it next year not necessarily in BHR