1935 Series A 500 Burman BAP Gearbox questions

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know the difference between the mainshafts of a pre and post war Comet. The shaft I have here from the "A" Comet I'm rebuilding looks very similar except for an extra collar inboard of the stepped spline for the clutch. It's just that I need another one to suit another gearbox I'm building again, for a pre war Comet. Cheers.....................Greg.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Thanks for all the replies. Doug has ordered new springs, all four, ratchet, pawl, and cover(s). I think he only ordered one, but it shouldn't be to difficult to copy and make another. So we are on hold until parts arrive.
Steven

A_HRD

VOC Member
Does anyone know the difference between the mainshafts of a pre and post war Comet. The shaft I have here from the "A" Comet I'm rebuilding looks very similar except for an extra collar inboard of the stepped spline for the clutch. It's just that I need another one to suit another gearbox I'm building again, for a pre war Comet. Cheers.....................Greg.
Greg,
The thicker part of the shaft (which comprises the 4 inch long splines and the bearing surfaces for the output gear) is approx 6-29/32" long on the A Comet and 7-1/8" long on the C Comet. Consequently, the overall length of an A Comet shaft is approx 11-1/8" and a C Comet is approx 11.300". I stress 'approx' throughout because I have witnessed small variations.... (1/64 - 1/32ths).

Peter B