12volt electrics

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
12V armatures and field coils are readily available for the Lucas E3L dynamo's, I've had one on my twin for ten years, 15k miles, I've had one armature fail in that time. but I have to admit to doing virtually no night riding, strangely my Brough on 6v actually has better lights though this may be due to the reflector/glass more than anything else.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Often thought about it, But going back to the 70 s, Didn't think it was worth all that, Maybe ? trouble again.
Have a good Birthday Chris, Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well the bike had an Alton with it when I got it, but it wouldn't work, I think it was fried. so just got a scrappy dynamo and rebuilt it with all new 12v parts. Other than the headlight everything is LED so there's plenty for the that.
Doing a few odd jobs this morning then off out on the bike for a few hours.

:cool:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Because I have an Old Mag' on my Comet, I thought I would fit something that would never give trouble !.
Because there is nothing inside it !, And the wires are taped to the oil pipe, + It has a nice Chrome end cover.
I don't go Far !. :) Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• DSCN0092 (2).JPG
    DSCN0092 (2).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 45

Mikeant

Forum User
VOC Member
I am no electrical genius. A semi retired marine civil engineer/diver. I build quaywalls for ships, underwater pipelines etc. But I dabble in electronics and have been fixing bikes for more than 50 years. Clearly the dynamos that are melting are getting too hot. Their location on a twin nestling behind the rear cylinder is not good for keeping cool. If you ask any machine to do more work, more internal heat will be generated. Thus the basic design and cooling arrangements are inadequate to produce much more power. Possibly those experiencing failures have been asking too much!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have found it's the rev's that they don't like, When I was young and silly in 1970, I bought all new electrics.
Lasted about a 100 miles. Cheers Bill.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Some years ago a chap attended the Severn Rally with a Lucas E3L dynamo that had been rewound for 12v using the commutator from a Goblin vacuum cleaner. He reckoned that it balanced the headlight at 30mph. Does anyone know any more about this mod? Cheers, Stu.
I have a 'Bell' 12 volt conversion E3L dynamo, which I had on my Rapide for many years. I believe it has a different field coil and armature with more segments on the commutator. It worked very well. I only changed it for an Alton when I had an electric starter fitted although it probably wasn't necessary. It is for sale should anyone want it. Hugo.

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you look at the com and brushes on a Miller on the test rig putting out the full rated 8 amps, fully loaded it looks like an arc welder..........Easy to see why the solder joints from the winding's to the com segments melt and come adrift. The Lucas com and brushes are much bigger and handle this load far better. These days everyone asks too much from an outdated system, too many electrical add on's in this modern world.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I too had a Bell conversion as that seemed to be the best available at the time. It did all that it was supposed to do but required a 'handful' of high revs to get the regulator to kick in, after which it was fine. The problem was that at low revs it would not keep up to the head light when out at night on some of the local country roads. I had to resort to going round slow corners in first gear to keep the headlight bright, otherwise is became unacceptably dim and yellow. This was with a decent battery. The difference in the light coming out of a 60 watt bulb at eleven volts and the same system at 14+ volts is really noticeable. Hence the Walkernator.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I too had a Bell conversion as that seemed to be the best available at the time. It did all that it was supposed to do but required a 'handful' of high revs to get the regulator to kick in, after which it was fine. The problem was that at low revs it would not keep up to the head light when out at night on some of the local country roads. I had to resort to going round slow corners in first gear to keep the headlight bright, otherwise is became unacceptably dim and yellow. This was with a decent battery. The difference in the light coming out of a 60 watt bulb at eleven volts and the same system at 14+ volts is really noticeable. Hence the Walkernator.
Hi Norman, what interested me about the E3L I saw at the Severn was the balance of the headlight at only 30mph. It's a wonder no one has picked up that. Cheers, Stu.