12v Battery

cometbaz

Forum User
VOC Member
I am thinking of fitting an Alton alternator to my comet and was wondering if anyone made a 12v battery which fits inside the old 6v battery case.
Cheers, Baz

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybatteries.htm
Quite a long way down the page there is a set of gel batteries fitted into an exide looking case. I believe that these are the batteries that I have had fitted under my rear cowl for about eight years. I have never seen them but, although the bike still starts on coil ignition, I get the impression that they are beginning to fade. I wdont need the exide case but the gel cells have been good and will eventually get replaced with some more Cyclons.
I have no connection with Paul Goff and don't even know if my batteries came from him, but I have met many of his satisfied customers.

Cheers,

notap

Non-VOC Member
I use the following*Yuasa Maintence Free VRLA*(YT4B-BS(Y) which fits snuggly in my old case (but do check the dimensions before buying). *Ive had no problems, though Ive heard that the gel batteries may be better (see previous comment by B'knighted. All the best. *Rob paton

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
before you purchase a 12v battery check the spec sheet that comes with the alton - it lists a minimum amp/hr requirement..

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Hi .I have 2 of the Paul Goff gel batteries (2 times 6 volt in series to give 12volts) inside the original battery case.......great .I use an Alton dynamo ...and at night the lights actually light up the road ....wonders will never cease !!! .I dind have to scrape a bit of the inside of the original battery case to get the batteries to fit properly ,but no visible difference from the outside.

nkt267

VOC Member
I dind have to scrape a bit of the inside of the original battery case to get the batteries to fit properly ,but no visible difference from the outside.
Also advisable to put some foam or rubber in the bottom to stop the remains of the ribs cutting into the new batteries..John