12 volt battery?

dox48HRD

New Forum User
VOC Member
My uncle purchased this 1948 Rapide in 1958. I think that I have most of the parts ordered to finish the restoration that he started over 30 years ago. I am trying to figure out the correct battery that will fit. The paperwork with the bike indicates it has been converted to a 12 volt positive earth sytem. Can someone provide a part number for the correct battery for this application?

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It depends on how you intend to use the machine in the end. If you're intending to restore of show you might consider getting an empty battery case that replicates the original and fitting a small 12 volt inside. If you intend to ride it and originality isn't a big concern then measure up the battery carrier and have a look online or through some catalogs for something close.

wld50

Non-VOC Member
For examples see Paul Goff's website http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybatteries.htm - he sells a complete kit in the UK but unfortunately that doesn't help you since he doesn't appear to ship batteries overseas.
You should be able to buy the empty battery case fit two Enersys Cyclon 0809-0012 6v 5.9Ah sealed cells mounted vertically and facing in opposite directions, (as he shows), lightly trimming their protruding plastic struts and/or the battery case if necessary. (not so much trimming as to weaken them). Wire in series for 12v.
I fitted a couple of vertical bars with protruding bolts outside the case to attach the wiring rather than using the spade connectors, and a fuseholder where both holder and wires were black (most have red wiring)
Beware, as the batteries are used in alarm systems and replaced on an annual or 2 year rotation, used ones are in the market and will not last as long as you would expect. (those from reputable distributors like Paul's are new)
Buy a trickle charger
These are a great solution, unless you were to fit an electric start. for which you need a higher capacity battery.

dox48HRD

New Forum User
VOC Member
The plan is to ride this bike but no plans for electric start or extensive electrical accessaries. Just a basic 12v power supply will be good. Thanks for the replies.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I use a Kawasaki KZ650 battery. You may have to space out the claw for the battery holddown rod.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
As they come to the end of their useful lives, Im replacing all lead acid batteries with Lithium Ion. They are expensive on initial purchase but should last ten years. I like the idea of being able to forget about the battery for ten years, this is right up there with the 5 year VOC membership.
In addition ,if left untended for one full year only 10% of the reserve is lost. In my experience most lead acid batteries go dead flat if left for one full year without usage or trickle charging.
The weight of the lithium battery is roughly one fifth that of the lead acid and there is no fluid to deal with. The battery can be mounted any way that suits. The physical size for a given amount of power is also a fraction of a lead acid battery size.
I found the best deal available was on the Ballard product. The batteries made by Shorai are not far behind. The shorai might be the best choice if the battery is visible. The Ballard looks a bit space age for a Vintage machine but would be ideal if a battery case is used. All of the leftover space inside the battery case can be used to conceal some of the wiring you see hanging off most old bikes.

Glen

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
Yes, but we've seen what happens when you try to forget about your five year membership for ten years,

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
yes, that was the impetus for the recent deregistration/reregistration incident. There was some shame there, but also a feeling of meglomania at the sight of all those names in red. Sometimes a lack of knowledge is power!

Glen

Last edited: