1000 year 1000 mile ride

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dan Smith suggested a ride from Vancouver to Barkerville. Most went up the coast and over the Duffy Lake road to Lilloet.
Tony Cording, Howie Wong and I decided to avoid the congestion of Vancouver and opted for the Fraser Canyon route. The two groups met up in Lilloet and carried on from there to overnight in Clinton, then on to Wells ( Barkerville) the next day.
A photo was taken in Lilloet when Nigel Spaxman and Allyson were present on their Vincent. It was noted that the combined age of riders and bikes was over 1000.
So it seemed fitting to do a 1000 mile ride. Not the longest run we've ever done or even close, but enough to properly exercise a Vincent.
The bikes ranged from Dan's highly modified Shadow to Howie's near stock Rapide. Reading of the various bikes in a state of rebuild/ redesign here on the forum reminds me that these bikes do not need huge redesign to cover large mileages.
Fit some modern pistons and valve seals, a sealed chain and away you go, they work amazingly well at 70 years of age.

This photo was taken in Wells BC. Nigel and Allyson had returned home via Duffy Lake Road the previous day.

From right to left-
Michael Vane-Hunt, Tony Cording, Howie Wong, Dan Smith, Ian Wylie and me, Glen Breaks.
Robert Watson would have been present if not for a bout of food poisoning.

Attachments

• CROP_20190804_074126.jpg
    CROP_20190804_074126.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
That's an " I sold my Vin" Vin.
It did alright, although on one uphill climb, with headwind, when passing a truck, he was missing the Vin pretty badly. :)

Glen

Robert Watson

VOC Member
We could have even bettered that except a local Chinese food restaurant thought my time would be better spent with 12 hours of agony followed by going on a 6 day crash diet. Mind you my 30 year old leathers fit better now!

In Fairness Tony still has his 636 Comet but hauling through the mountains here really requires a healthy twin........

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
You could also mention that all 6 bikes rode back to Vancouver in one day, some 470+ miles. Also some of the engines were built by JohnMcDougal.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I think John left some fingerprints on Michaels engine last go round, perhaps he can clarify. Then there is Howie's engine and my complete bike, done by John.
At one gathering in the US I counted 14 engines out of 17 by either Dan Smith or John McDougall.
The three that fell into " by others" category came and went via trailer!

Glen