1000 bikes the VMCC and other matters (UK)

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have heard through the grapevine that the VMCC chairman James Hewing has resigned from his position (or retiring) I believe the news is going up on the VMCC web site

I know a lot of people did not like the way the VMCC was turning into a corporate entity, For my part I did not like the way the 1000 bikes was turning into a media/celebrity circus and loosing the grass roots emphasis on racing sprinting and off road fun.

then I directed to this on the web

http://www.westkentsection.webspace.virginmedia.com/Dorset Open Forum Sue revised.doc

Its certainly food for thought you certainly wont read stuff like this in the VMCC mag or on the website.

Perhaps we shall not only move from Mallory but we may regain the space and atmosphere of the old 1000 bikes at Brands

vibrac

VOC Member
It does for me Marcus I just clicked it

"Last night on behalf of the Section, Stuart and I attended the Dorset Section’s Open Forum meeting with the 3 full time paid directors of the VMCC" etc etc

It leads directly to the comments on the second link on the west Kent section VMCC main page
in case you browser does not render the above link the main page is

http://www.westkentsection.webspace.virginmedia.com/

Last edited:

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
If you're looking for a good old clubby track day, instead of the 1000 bikes, look no further than Tony Page's event at Cadwell, held the day before the VMCC meeting. Great fun - not a hint of media/celebrity to be seen. Look out for it this year.

Tim

Howard

VOC Member
If you're looking for a good old clubby track day, instead of the 1000 bikes, look no further than Tony Page's event at Cadwell, held the day before the VMCC meeting. Great fun - not a hint of media/celebrity to be seen. Look out for it this year.

Tim

No celebs??? I was there. :)

H

Howard

VOC Member
I hear they are making the gates wider just for you next year:)..John

Is that to avoid my fans getting crushed in the gateway? :)

H

I think they really need to make the track narrower to stop so many riders coming past me!

vibrac

VOC Member
I, amongst others have received a draft of proposals for the VMCC AGM originally from Mr Colin Steer of the lakeland section. The political side need not be aired here -see your local VMCC section however one part should be read in our VOC context

7.The cancellation of the Festival of 1,000 Bikes for 2014 removes urgency from this proposal. However, it is open for any Section or Member to take up in case it is ever resurrected.

Members attending the Dorset Open Forum meeting were almost unanimous in expressing the view that the Festival of 1,000 Bikes should revert to its original Brands Hatch format and revert to a riding event for members. It is currently viewed as a cheap track day for modern bikers, which does little to promote the Club.

It is proposed that track sessions at any future Festival of 1,000 Bikes should be restricted to Club members and Club eligible machines. The emphasis on paid star riders to be removed.

So I was not the only one! But dont loose hope I think its worth pointing out that BHRC have parade sessions at all meetings in addition to the Friday autum fun at Cadwell before the last meeting

Last edited: