1/8"-28 BSP tap parallel tap needed

vapide

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Anyone have any good idea how I can expeditiously and not too expensively get my hands on a 1/8" - 28 BSP parallel (bolt-style straight thread, not tapered pipe thread) tap?

All I have been able to find here (US) are places that want $20+ for them, and $8+ shipping on top of that, or vendors that SWEAR they have the straight thread ones, but then send me tapered (BSP tapered is very common here, since the metric system seems to have adopted it, but straight almost unheard of. and the P-for-pipe seems to throw them off).

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Anyone have any good idea how I can expeditiously and not too expensively get my hands on a 1/8" - 28 BSP parallel (bolt-style straight thread, not tapered pipe thread) tap?

All I have been able to find here (US) are places that want $20+ for them, and $8+ shipping on top of that, or vendors that SWEAR they have the straight thread ones, but then send me tapered (BSP tapered is very common here, since the metric system seems to have adopted it, but straight almost unheard of. and the P-for-pipe seems to throw them off).

McMaster Carr $15.98 1/8-28 BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel)+ shipping.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8328a21/=1setje

Cheers,
Ken Smith

mr.hutch

VOC Member

I would recommend
The Tap and Die Company, of London N15 UK
If this guy cant help you I'll be very suprised.

Try email, info@tapdie.com or www.tapdie.com
Tel:+44(0)208888 1865 they supply high quality HHS and EHSS tools from ME to you name it,

I have never had the slightest problem with this company and happily recommend its services.

Good luck and go carefully, mr hutch :)

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Bruce,
What is needed is a 1/8-28 BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel)
Your tap listed is a tapered pipe tap.
Ken Smith

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Bruce,
What is needed is a 1/8-28 BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel)
Your tap listed is a tapered pipe tap.
Ken Smith

Just to help me out, how can you tell? I had assumed that a bottoming tap would be a parallel thread.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
A plug tap , or bottoming tap as you say is parallel threaded right to the end with no lead. BSP is a pipe thread and is available in taper and parallel types.