1/8"-28 BSP tap parallel tap needed

indianken

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just to help me out, how can you tell? I had assumed that a bottoming tap would be a parallel thread.

Bruce,

Your quite correct. I should have looked closer. Usually they would be
listed as a BSPP., then as Taper, Plug, Bottoming.

Can I plead to; " Too much gin in my drink "?:eek:
Ken Smith

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A plug tap , or bottoming tap as you say is parallel threaded right to the end with no lead. BSP is a pipe thread and is available in taper and parallel types.

We agree!
My link is for
"15 available for immediate delivery. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] TAP[/FONT] BSP[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] 1/8" X 28 BOTTOM [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Quantity in Basket: None
Code: 5575
Price: $18.00
Shipping Weight: 0.19 pounds[/SIZE][/FONT]"

vapide

Non-VOC Member
There is a built-in confusion here, in that a taper tap is usually a first-operation tap, which has the lower half tapered for easy starting, but a tapered tap is one for cutting tapered pipe threads. Since BSP is one of the few threadings that has both a parallel and taper (as in pipe taper) version, when buying a tap from a poorly informed vendor is can be hard to know what one is buying. The suppliers here, like Vermont American, do not help, by simply listing them as "Metric BSP" tap instead of BSPT or BSPP.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Anyone have any good idea how I can expeditiously and not too expensively get my hands on a 1/8" - 28 BSP parallel (bolt-style straight thread, not tapered pipe thread) tap?

All I have been able to find here (US) are places that want $20+ for them, and $8+ shipping on top of that, or vendors that SWEAR they have the straight thread ones, but then send me tapered (BSP tapered is very common here, since the metric system seems to have adopted it, but straight almost unheard of. and the P-for-pipe seems to throw them off).
Tracey tools UK have a website . they are always the cheapest

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Anyone have any good idea how I can expeditiously and not too expensively get my hands on a 1/8" - 28 BSP parallel (bolt-style straight thread, not tapered pipe thread) tap?

All I have been able to find here (US) are places that want $20+ for them, and $8+ shipping on top of that, or vendors that SWEAR they have the straight thread ones, but then send me tapered (BSP tapered is very common here, since the metric system seems to have adopted it, but straight almost unheard of. and the P-for-pipe seems to throw them off).

I've purchased from both these firms with no problem. The British fastener has a whole page devoted to BSP both taper and parallel. Whole Sale Tool is just down the road and they have them on the shelf.