“Show” Vincent details

GBewley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, fellow Vin owners!

I have a “red and chrome“ Rapide which was used as a show display bike by Vincent. I am seeking information as to exactly what these show bike finishes entailed. I know that this bike had more red than the later standard production bikes as I own an original paint red tourer as well. What I have been told by some folk is that the show bikes basically had chrome everywhere that the standard machines had used cadmium. Basically I’d like to take the bike back to its original show finish and hope the brain trust here may include those who actually saw or spoke to someone who had seen some of the original show bikes.

Any takers?

thanks for any and all comments,

Glenn

stu spalding

VOC Member
A friend had the '52 or '53 (can't remember which) Earl's Court Black Shadow and it had, as you say, all the nuts, bolts, small fittings etc that would normally have been cadmium plated, chromed. Unfortunately I lost touch with the friend who kept the bike very much to himself so I can't help any further. Cheers, Stu.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume you have the build info from the Machine Registrar, does it have any details on that? Neil Donovan had said his old Shadow was a Show bike and came with the chromed chain guard, plus other items.

GBewley

VOC Member
Thanks for this, Bruce. Yes, I have the records and the bike had some interesting things beyond the finish, including 1 1/8 carbs (on a Rapide). Beyond that, the finish is just listed as ”red and chrome.”

I’ll call Donovan...sounds like he may be able to shine some light. I have a chrome chain guard but I am pretty sure this bike did not come with one.

Thanks again!

G

I assume you have the build info from the Machine Registrar, does it have any details on that? Neil Donovan had said his old Shadow was a Show bike and came with the chromed chain guard, plus other items.

GBewley

VOC Member
Thank you, Stu!

A friend had the '52 or '53 (can't remember which) Earl's Court Black Shadow and it had, as you say, all the nuts, bolts, small fittings etc that would normally have been cadmium plated, chromed. Unfortunately I lost touch with the friend who kept the bike very much to himself so I can't help any further. Cheers, Stu.