G: Gearbox (Twin) ‘O’ Ring Chains

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So if the regular link pin length on your Comet unsealed 530 chain is .808" I'll guess that the master is similar in width to the RK 530uwv?
If so, the RK with rivetted master link should work as a replacement.

Glen

Last edited:

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Get these types from Ebay, 110 chain links, they send worldwide, p&p is extra , € 12.- to UK - and USA ???
Did you search in Ebay ?

Vic

RK 530 uwv

Yes, I see that listing now. I think I have another riding season on the existing chain. After that, I'll be replacing chain and sprockets. This chain seems to be the answer.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Never used a sealed chain, Can you play with them, 1 and a half links or fit a half link ?, Cheers Bill.
I haven't found any half links in sealed, although they might exist.
Once fitted there generally isn't need to adjust until they are worn out at 20,000 miles or thereabouts, so half links aren't needed much.
As long as the bike has enough rear wheel adjustment to enable a chain with an even number of links to fit, you are set.

Glen

Last edited:

Mike 40M

VOC Member
In case anyone have a short memory. Modern chain dimensions are in eights of an inch.
So a 4xx chain has 4/8" = 1/2"pitch and a 5xx chain has 5/8" pitch.
Width x20 is 2/8" = 1/4", x25 is 2.5/8" = 5/16" and x30 is 3/8" wide.

vibrac

VOC Member
Vibrac the (metric?) numbers on modern chain nomecleture stand for eigths - for example 530 is 5 eighths x 3 eighths. 520 is 5 eighths x 2 eigths(1/4) then to add confusion the 25 in a 525 chain is 2.5 eigths or 5/16!
Thankyou so much that has cleared the fog a great deal

MarBl

VOC Member
Since I wasnt satisfied at all with a recently fitted Regina Chain (there was 0,4mm play between clip and plate), I decided to try the RK chains.
The RK 530 KS is 20,75mm wide and fitted without any problems or any signs (suspicious noises) of contact to the case. The KS is already an improvement, evidently stronger than the Regina and I installed it with a rivet, not a clip.

I also tried the 22,6mm wide, sealed RK 530 uwv, which unfortunately did not fit, but got stuck.

As I am planning to install an new quadrant and G46 this winter, I will check again and try to find out, if it is safe to remove some material to get the necessary clearance for the 530 uwv.

It is a 1951 Rapide Engine.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I recently installed a 530DIDvx on the seldom used Rapide as the low miles standard chain was already showing quite a lot of wear. Thought it would be good to get a sealed chain on there while the sprockets still look good.
The 530 vX isn't quite a narrow as the RK uvw, but it's much more common and less expensive.
It was rolled right on freely, so perhaps some metal had already been unintentionally removed from the gearbox housing.
A rivet type Masterlink was used.

Glen

johncrispin

VOC Member
Having started this thread last year, may I just offer my gratitude to all who have responded. i have learned a lot.
I have used one of Roberts re ringed super hard front sprockets and have on the back an anodised
alloy made by Mr Hemmings I believe , purchased through the much lamented 'Sprockets' co ( John & Jane) just before John's untimely death last year. The chain was a DID 520. I have done around 500 miles since as I was compelled to use my T120 to the Ardennes last year. (Electrical gremlins now sorted).
I have not yet needed to adjust the chain to my surprise. The only difficulty is attaching with a spring link which I chose to use. Unlike modern bikes the chain has to be removed a bit more often than on our older machines. I have found some considerable grip has to be used to squeeze the link plate with the seals in situ in order to make sure the spring is seated properly.