G: Gearbox (Twin) ‘O’ Ring Chains

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That would be a 520.
There are lots of those available in sealed.
The 520 chain is plenty strong on a twin as well. The narrow 530 sealed just gives 50% more tooth surface,which should translate into greater sprocket longevity.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
More on narrow 530 sealed chain.
RK also has a new chain type designed to fit older 530 sprocketted machines. These machines generally havent quite enough clearance for the earlier 1" wide sealed 530 chains, hence the need to switch to 520 sprockets for sealed chain use in the past.
The new RK chain is even slimmer than the DID narrow 530( .917")
The RK version is labelled GP530 uwv and is just .89" wide. This is narrower than some 530 unsealed chains.
It should go on a standard set of 530 Vincent sprockets without issue.

Glen
The Tsubaki 530-QR unsealed drive chain I use on my Comet has a pin width of 0.808"

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
The RK chain looks interesting but it seems to come in 100-link lengths. They don't seem to be available outside of the UK either.

oexing

VOC Member
Get these types from Ebay, 110 chain links, they send worldwide, p&p is extra , € 12.- to UK - and USA ???
Did you search in Ebay ?

Vic

RK 530 uwv

erik

VOC Member
in the Polo Motorcycle Shops you can buy rk chains. I don`t know if These Shops are only in Germany?

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Vibrac the (metric?) numbers on modern chain nomecleture stand for eigths - for example 530 is 5 eighths x 3 eighths. 520 is 5 eighths x 2 eigths(1/4) then to add confusion the 25 in a 525 chain is 2.5 eigths or 5/16!

john998

VOC Member
Just discovered in my winter look see that my solo which has a club shop 520 'O' ring set up with 17k miles on it that the front sprocket is worn out.
Chain and rear sprocket are fine. This with a Scott oiler.
Managed to change the sprocket without splitting the chain after thinning down a standard sprocket.
The 'O' ring chain is one of the best mods I have done highly recommended. John.