G: Gearbox (Twin) ‘O’ Ring Chains

johncrispin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Robert and Glen
. Thanks again. Robert where did the G'box sprockets( front) you produced end up in UK ? VOC Spares ?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
For once I feel left behind in this technical conversation to me I have raced and ridden on two chains 5/8 X 3/8 road and 5/8X 1/4 for the racers all this 530 and 520 has me lost I surmise their sprockets must be thinner or do the link distances vary from 5/8"? I guess these metric interlopers are the reason I have to take a link with me when I try and get a new spring link where as in the golden years I just had to mumble 3/8X 5/8.
I guess the other reason for my ignorance is that all my modern transports seem to use shafts....
Please someone help me at starter level

Not much has changed, other than the availability of sealed chain.
The 530 is 5/8"X3/8", 520 is 5/8"X1/4" and so on.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that
Next question: what then are all the strange variations in pin length and diameter? I can only assume that only the inner pitch and width are standardised and pin diameter and link thickness are dependant on make?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thats right, the inside width is the same for all 530 chains, for example.
Outside width of pins varies quite a lot.
The early sealed 5/8" x 3/8" chains were close to an inch wide, so it was necessary to go down to the 1/4 width in order to fit a sealed chain on a Vincent.
D.I.D has been working away to reduce the width of their sealed chain and now has it down to .917" pin width for a 5/8" x 3/8" or 530.
From the crude measuring I did yesterday, it looks as though the .917" wide 530VX might just roll right on a standard Vincent.

This should give some added longevity to the setup with teeth being 50% wider than the previous 520 sealed chain arrangement.

Now if you could get some high quality sprockets on there in the 530 width, the whole setup could last a very long time.

I've yet to try the VX on there tho, so there could be a snag....

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont think I have ever seen a crankcase without deep scoring around the sprocket circumference where the pin heads touch the alloy
I have just seen that effect on a new crankcase but once its done it does not get worse

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Moto GP bikes run 300 hp on a 520 o ring chain, mind you they put about 300 k's on them and certainly put a new one on before a race. The one I have from Crutchlow's Tech 3 Yamaha has lovely blue rollers!

I looked at the last one of mine that self destructed and it had only done it in certain places. it appeared that the rollers were fine but the seals had failed and then the lube on the pins gets out and things wear rapidly after that. I am not convinced a 530 would give a great deal more life as they presumable use the same seals.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It's the 530 sprockets that I expect might go further than a same material 520 sprocket, just because there is 50% more surface area on the tooth.

Non scientific but I seem to be seeing this on the Triumph Daytona 955i and Thruxton R.
Both have a lot higher output than a 998 Vincent and yet the alloy 530 sprockets are lasting very well.
The Thruxton would give the biggest beating to the sprocket as it makes above 80 ft lbs of torque all the from 2500-7500.
With 17,000 kms on that I'm not seeing much wear yet.
At that mileage the alloy 520 rears on the Vincent were done.
This could be due to a difference in the alloys, or it could be down to the extra 50% of tooth surface.

Looks promising!

Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
More on narrow 530 sealed chain.
RK also has a new chain type designed to fit older 530 sprocketted machines. These machines generally havent quite enough clearance for the earlier 1" wide sealed 530 chains, hence the need to switch to 520 sprockets for sealed chain use in the past.
The new RK chain is even slimmer than the DID narrow 530( .917")
The RK version is labelled GP530 uwv and is just .89" wide. This is narrower than some 530 unsealed chains.
It should go on a standard set of 530 Vincent sprockets without issue.

Glen

Last edited: